A few of us attended the Business North West event last week which was fantastic. Business North West has been running for 3 years and is growing from strength to strength.
The event got off to a strong start with a talk about facebook from Stephen Haines – UK sales director at facebook. His talk pretty much strengthed the need for social media marketing, something we push strongly here at CandidSky. He gave some key insights into facebook as a company and also talked in great detail about facebook’s CEO Mark Zuckerberg. Here are some interesting pointers we picked up from his talk
- Facebooks ethos: “give people the power to share and make the world more open and connected”
- Fastest growing age group using facebook is 25+
- Trip Advisors facebook application accounts for 25% of their traffic
- Facebook took only 1 day to translate the whole site into Spanish by getting users to do it for them
- 95% of Facebook users have an application on their profile
Another notable speaker was Max Clifford who stole the show on the second day with stories from 40 years in PR. It was interesting to hear him talk about how he didn’t really understand much about technology or indeed the internet. However he did stress that he hires people that do know about the internet and he sees it as a vital tool for PR. Here are some pointers we picked up from Max Clifford:
- Get to know the people in your local press
- Look to get famous people involved with your company & PR campaigns
- When looking to start a PR campaign be creative and look for different ways to get your message across
- Positive PR can be a good counteractive measure for dealing with negative PR
All in all we found the whole 2 days extremely useful, we managed to get lots of leads, advice & met some very interesting people. We did try a bit of speed networking although if I’m honest I did find it a little bit exhausting! Next year we are considering setting up on a stall or better still become a keynote speaker… watch this space!